Macaroni and Cheese with Chicken and Tomato
- Cheese sauce – I used Simple White Sauce and added cheese to make it the consistency I needed
- Tomato sauce – either store bought or your favourite recipe
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cubed cooked chicken – amount depends on how many people you are serving
- Cooked macaroni – enough for the number of people you are serving
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Extra milk as needed
- Breadcrumbs and tablespoon of butter mixed through
Make your cheese sauce, leaving it slightly thinner than you would ordinarily. Add diced onion and simmer until onion is tender.
Add in tomato sauce to taste. Add cooked macaroni.
Add chicken and heat through. Add more milk if needed, (macaroni is a very thirsty pasta!).
Take from heat and put into oven proof dish, top with the shredded cheese and buttered breadcrumbs and serve when bubbling and breadcrumb topping is crunchy.
Note: If you don’t put this immediately into the oven once it is taken from the heat add more milk to the oven proof dish to keep the sauce from “disappearing”.