For Thanksgiving I decided to have a bit of a choice for appetisers and to serve them a good hour before the meal. I wanted simple things, yet things that were full of flavour. This bruschetta definitely hit the mark.
I toasted the bread and made the tomato mixture ahead of time, making it really easy to serve with the other bites.
Being able to pick the basil and tomatoes from my garden made this especially fresh and extra pleasing, too!
- 12 slices Italian bread, 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons small capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Heat oven to 375ºF.
Place bread slices on ungreased cookie sheet. Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil on each slice bread. Bake about 8 minutes or until golden brown.
While bread is toasting, mix remaining ingredients. Spoon tomato mixture onto bread slices. Serve at room temperature.