I am married to a man I adore.
And who, in turn, adores me, ice cream, pasta and Bob Dylan. I am not sure that I have his priority list in the right order. I think pasta and ice cream might just beat Dylan out, but hopefully not me!
However, this week I think he has decided that I am the devil incarnate.
Just to illustrate this point…
There is Cruella de Ville who kills puppies, then there are father murderers (Arlo Guthrie’s “Alice’s Restaurant” would explain this one), then there is one of the self proclaimed and much published Dylan-ologists (who I dare not name as I am certain he googles his own name daily and would sue me if I was to say even a fraction of what Allan has said about him), and then there is me.
Why does my husband loathe me so?? Why does he hold me in such revile?
Because of my “we will both eat at least seven portions of fruit and vegetables each a day” challenge.
So, in an attempt to get back into his good books I decided to make pasta.
But I wanted to keep up our great achievements this week so didn’t want to make a heap of spaghetti bolognese.
This was my mid ground.
Served with a huge side salad… and I pretended not to notice that he didn’t eat the lettuce. I do have some pity!
- 1-1/2 lbs. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms ( I skipped these)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 8 oz.)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 5 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Large jar pasta sauce – or homemade which is always better!
- 12 ounces lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brown ground beef in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat; drain. Stir in mushrooms, onion, carrot and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Stir in wine and cayenne pepper and cook over high heat 3 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
- Thoroughly combine ground beef mixture, mozzarella cheese, egg and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese in medium bowl. Evenly pour 2 cups Pasta Sauce in 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Evenly spread 1/3 cup ground beef filling over each lasagna noodle. Carefully roll up noodles. Place seam-side-down in baking dish. Evenly spread remaining Pasta Sauce over lasagna rolls.
- Bake covered 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and continue baking uncovered an additional 5 minutes or until bubbling.