These marinated berries are one of the suggested toppings for Dutch Babies, German Pancakes.
The zest and juice of the orange was great with the sweet simple syrup and vanilla and the tang of the berries.
I didn’t have fresh vanilla beans, or a lemon, but I used vanilla extract (never essence!) and doubled the orange zest and juice. It turned out great and would make a great topping for my Mom’s Bombe recipe too. In fact, most anything that a fruit compote is needed for. Or even just vanilla ice cream.
It rocks. 🙂
And it was a great topping, and compliment, to the delicious oven baked Dutch Babies.
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, and seeds scraped out with a knife and reserved
• Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
• Grated zest of 1/2 orange
• 1 cup water
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
• 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1/2 pint raspberries
• 1/2 pint blueberries, rinsed
• 1/2 pint strawberries, rinsed, tops trimmed, halved or quartered, if large
In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, citrus zests, and water.
Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer very gently until syrupy, about 25 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the citrus juices.
Combine the berries in a bowl.
Strain the warm syrup over the berries and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings